A blog for (semi) athletic middle-aged men (and women) holding on to (the last vestiges of) their youth
by training for and competing in running, cycling, swimming and triathlon events!


Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Beef. It's What's for Bodybuilding!

Recognize the tall blond in the middle of this picture? That's Jean O'Toole of the New York Beef Industry Council with her spinning class at the Paragon Athletic Club in New Hartford, New York. Jean wore her new "Beef. It's What's for Dinner" cycling jersey to her 5:45 a.m. spinning class last Wednesday and her classmates loved it so much they wanted a picture with her!

Jean is a great example of how you can incorporate lean beef into a healthy diet/lifestyle. Jean is an accomplished amateur bodybuilder who has participated in competitions held by the U.S. Bodybuilding Federation (USBF). Among her achievements, Jean recently received a 2nd, 4th and 5th place in the figure competitions and a 2nd and 4th place in body building at the 2007 USBF Liberty State (New York) Natural Bodybuilding & Figure Contest in Binghamton, New York.
Last year Jean finished a very impressive fourth place in the women's novice division at the 2006 USBF North American Bodybuilding and Figure Pro/Am.

Jean describes her secret to success (in addition to hard work, dedication and discipline!)...

"I ate a lot of sirloin and stuck to the 29 lean cuts while my fellow competitors bored themselves on salmon and broiled chicken! I have befriended a competitor in Buffalo and educated her on beef...she is now a believer and eater of more lean beef, and has subscribed to the Beef So Simple e-newsletter!"

Many bodybuilders understand the importance of beef in their diet. The editor of "Body Building Resource" -- a website for body builders -- says "Beef is high in quality protein which is a MUST if you want to build thick dense muscles."

Bodybuilding.com, THE supersite for bodybuilders, features an "All About BEEF" section complete with information on cuts, nutrition and recipes.

But Jean also understands it's not just what you eat. You have to remain active to maintain a body like hers. As I learned when I weighed 270 lbs. and ate lots of chicken thinking it would help me lose weight, what I needed was exercise. And when you exercise you need high quality protein -- like beef -- to fuel your body. Here's Jean's story...

"I have been in athletics since I was eight as a competitive swimmer, played volleyball in college and went from there...when I stopped sports 45 lbs. hit my behind so fast it stopped trucks! I was pushing almost 200 lbs. in 1989-1990!!! But like you....I got smart and took it off and strive to KEEP IT OFF!"

Now Jean is looking to her next challenge in her quest to stay fit and active.

"I plan on running a 5K in September called "The Falling Leaves" and will put together a Beef Team for the 31st running of the
Boilermaker, the nation's largest 15k!, to be run July 13, 2008, Utica, NY! I have also been pondering a mini triathlon...I guess it remains to be seen what I will challenge myself with next in my quest of health, fitness and fun!"

Jean, count me in for the Beef Team at the Boilermaker. I'll even supply the "Beef. It's What's for Dinner" running jerseys! Thanks for all you do to help promote lean beef. Keep up the good work!

Daren

1 comment:

  1. Great story Daren. Jean, thanks for sharing your experiences with us. It is great to see healthy, active beef eaters promoted on this site. Keep up the good work (and maybe indulge us a little with what your daily exercise routine consists of)!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comment or question here!