A blog for (semi) athletic middle-aged men (and women) holding on to (the last vestiges of) their youth
by training for and competing in running, cycling, swimming and triathlon events!


Monday, July 18, 2016

Cycle Oregon Training Update: I Got Legs (and I know how to use them!)

When I last checked in on my training for Cycle Oregon we did a "gut check" on my goal to lose 15 pounds (originally by May 15). Although that deadline has long since passed I am pleased to report that I have reached the goal! 


It feels great to lose the weight but more importantly I feel like I finally "got my legs" (and I know how to use them!).

There comes a time every training season when suddenly I feel like I can ride for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles.
It's a great feeling when I get to this point. It always happens when I ramp up my mileage and repetition. I definitely did that in the first two weeks of July. But then work happened. 

I started off the week strong with a 49-mile commute ride to/from work.
The Cattle Industry Summer Business Meeting took place this past week in downtown Denver, making it tough to get in the miles, and I have a business trip this week. 


As my brother Jonny Rocker said when he texted me an update on his progress, "Work is good reason." Did I mention he is retired?

So, hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go. Riding in this morning. Logging 24.5 miles on the way to work is a great way to start the week!

Ride on!

Daren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comment or question here!