A blog for (semi) athletic middle-aged men (and women) holding on to (the last vestiges of) their youth
by training for and competing in running, cycling, swimming and triathlon events!


Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ride the Rockies 2013 Training Begins Now!

The finish of my first Ride the Rockies in
2005 remains one of the highlights of my
personal journey with weight loss.
The first day of the New Year ushers in the beginning of a new training "season." At least that's how I've always looked at it. Living in cold winter areas like Kansas and Colorado I usually just try to "maintain" during the winter months and avoid putting on weight during the holidays. But once the calendar turns over to the new year I start focusing on my goals for the year -- the big events I want to compete in or new challenges I want to tackle.

I'm not big on making resolutions but I am big on setting goals. My friend Dane captured my thoughts exactly in a recent post on the subject:
"I see the New Year’s Resolutions which people set as being very bold and wonderful. Unfortunately, they are often so broad and far-reaching that they themselves up to fail. I suggest, instead, to set smaller goals and to set them daily. Each day brings its own triumphs and tribulations."
    -- Dane Rauschenberg, SeeDaneRun.com
Rather than "resolving to lose weight," I have found that setting a goal such as "completing Ride the Rockies 2013" works better for me. In order to complete Ride the Rockies I have to train. Last year I rode 1,570 miles between January 1 and June 9, the first day of the 2012 ride.

This year my goal is to up that to 2,000 miles between now and June 8 (the anticipated start of the ride--the official dates/route will be announced at the 2013 Route Announcement Party on Saturday, February 2nd). June 8 is 158 days from today so I need to average 12.66 miles per day, or just under 90 miles per week between now and then.

Today's goal was to ride one one-hundredth, or .01 percent of that goal, 20 miles. So I got on my indoor trainer and rode 20 miles at a pace of 19.7 mph. Goal accomplished. Today's triumph and tribulation. And I'm already 7.34 miles ahead of average :)

Ride on!

Daren


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comment or question here!