A blog for (semi) athletic middle-aged men (and women) holding on to (the last vestiges of) their youth
by training for and competing in running, cycling, swimming and triathlon events!


Sunday, March 30, 2008

Beautiful Day, Part II

KU WINS!!!! ROCK CHALK, BABY!! Cinderella has left the ball. Bring on Roy's baby blue boys.

What a game. Davidson is a great team. Underrated. A 10 seed? Are you kidding me? The tournament committee must have forgotten that they played UNC, Duke and UCLA back in November and December, losing by 4, 6 and 12, respectively. Nevermind that two of those teams are in the Final Four. Davidson didn't lose a game in 2008...until today.

I rode my new Cannondale Synapse 3 on my CycleOps Fluid2 indoor trainer during the first half of the game, working off nervous energy. The game started slow, and so did I, trying out my cycling legs for the first time since September 22, 2007. But getting back on a bike was kind of, well, like riding a bike.

I worked on keeping my cadence above 90 rpm, something I think riding on an indoor trainer will help me improve on. After all, it's Lance's secret to success. During commercials I revved up to 100-110 rpms. Thank goodness college basketball timeouts are only 30 and 60 seconds long (except for those darned TV timeouts)! This routine made for a nice interval workout, and helped me survive the stress of the first half.

After showering at the half I settled in to the couch to watch the second half but found that sitting still was a problem as the game see-sawed back and forth. KU leading by 6, Davidson leading by 4, KU leading by 6 again, Davidson cutting it to 2 on a Stephen Curry three-pointer with one minute remaining. It was torture...but the Jayhawks prevailed and all's well that ends well.

It's another beautiful day in Castle Rock, CO.

Daren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comment or question here!