A blog for (semi) athletic middle-aged men (and women) holding on to (the last vestiges of) their youth
by training for and competing in running, cycling, swimming and triathlon events!


Tuesday, April 11, 2017

1,000 Miles in 100 (and one) Days!

This morning I rode 11 miles on my CycleOps Fluid2* indoor trainer. It may not seem like much but it was significant. This is the first time, since I began recording my mileage on my Garmin Edge* cycling computer, that I have reached 1,000 miles in the first 100 days of the year! OK, so it was actually 1,002 miles in 101 days, but the record still stands. I am on track to hit 2,000 miles between January 1 and the start of Ride the Rockies for the first time -- and this will be my 10th RTR.

*I do not receive any compensation from CycleOps, Garmin or any other brand I mention on my blog. If I mention a brand it's because I am a true fan of the product!

RTR starts on June 10, the 161st day of the year. If I maintain my current average of 10 miles per day I'd hit 1,600 miles before the start, but nearly all my miles to date have been on my indoor trainer in chunks of 10-20 miles per ride. I typically increase my mileage significantly when I am able to get out on the road and put in some long, slow distance (LSD) rides (not to be confused with riding on LSD).


I have racked up 1,002 miles over 70 different workouts totaling 50 hours and 33 minutes to date in 2017.

I'm hoping those days come soon. This past weekend was ideal riding weather but I took the opportunity to sand and stain my redwood deck with Penofin Brazilian Rosewood Oil.*

*Nope. No sponsorship. ðŸ˜Š

Yesterday I noticed I rode 10 miles on the 10th and 11 miles on the 11th, so figure I'll do 12 on the 12th, and so on. In fact, I may try and keep this up for the rest of the month. By my calculations that would put me well over 400 miles in April. In May I will begin riding to/from work and should have no trouble hitting more than 500. That should put me in striking distance of 2,000 (factor in travel days and it will be close).

In an earlier post I talked about riding 2017 miles in 2017. I now think that it's possible to reach that goal before Ride the Rockies. 

Ride on!

Daren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your comment or question here!