A blog for (semi) athletic middle-aged men (and women) holding on to (the last vestiges of) their youth
by training for and competing in running, cycling, swimming and triathlon events!


Sunday, July 8, 2007

Marinated and Grilled Beef Tri-Tips

Lean beef is a great way to refuel after a hard workout and has just one more gram of saturated fat than a boneless, skinless chicken breast. More importantly, beef is nutrient rich. One 3 oz. serving of lean beef is an excellent source of five (protein, zinc, vitamin B12, selenium and phosphorus) and a good source of four (niacin, vitamin B6, iron and riboflavin) essential nutrients you need every day. Chicken just doesn't stack up! Besides, who wants to eat a boneless, skinless chicken breast for dinner? It tastes like...well, chicken. The great thing about beef is you don't have to add any heavy sauces or gravy to make it taste good!

[At left: Peppery Beef Tri-tip with Skewered Vegetables from the "Beef It's What's for Dinner" website. Log on for this and other great lean beef recipes.]

So, for dinner tonight we had marinated beef tri-tips that I grilled on my Weber grill. A tri-tip roast is one of the 29 lean cuts of beef and is very easy to prepare. Before leaving for work I put my tri-tip roast in a plastic bag with some Dale's steak seasoning (my favorite marinade introduced to me by a native of Birmingham, where Dale's originated), a packet of Lawry's meat marinade, and a little molasses (Dale's alone would suffice, but I usually throw in a little of whatever I see in our pantry that looks good!). You want to marinade a tri-tip for at least 2 hours, but I think longer is better so I left mine in for about 9 hours.

After firing up the coals I grilled the tri-tip over medium heat for about 35 minutes. My recommendation is to put 20-25 coals covering 1/3 of the grill and sear the meat on both sides over the coals for about five minutes then move it to the other side of the grill and cover for the remaining time. This allows the Weber "kettle effect" to do its job, cooking the meat evenly throughout for a perfect medium/medium rare). I pulled mine off when the meat thermometer read 135F for medium rare (cook to 150F for medium).

The final step is to allow the meat to "rest" for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it. This seals in the juices and ensures a great eating experience. The meat will continue to cook during this time bringing it to the perfect temp (140-145F for medium rare, 155-160F for medium). After resting, slice the meat across the grain (this is important!) and serve. My whole family loved it (it's not often that we all agree on something!).

That's it. So simple to prepare, packed with nutrients, and best of all it tastes great!

Grill on!

Daren

P.S. I grill year-round on my Weber, which was a little challenging this winter with all the snow in Colorado! Here I am grilling up some good T-Bones (another one of the "29 Lean Cuts") during an April snowstorm.

2 comments:

  1. Daren, Oh man- that marinated tri-tip beef sounds incredible. I'm a young 'beef griller' myself and I always enjoy hearing new recipies. The really exciting part about eating beef is the fact that it is so nutritious, a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog site. As a 42-year-old father of three daughters, I know where you're coming from. And I'm inspired to keep hitting the gym.

    Good luck with the latest adventure.

    Take care - Dan B.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comment or question here!